Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Skirt: When Fashion Gets Dangerous

Every now and then I get an idea about something that I want in my wardrobe. Something and it turns into an obsession to find the PERFECT specimen of this thing. This can go well, when I find what I want fairly quickly, or not-so-well, when I can't find what I want and end up spending crazy amounts of time and money hunting.

Usually it goes well when my obsession lines up with current fashions. Sometimes I'm a bit ahead of the curve, but then all I have to do is wait a season or two and fashion will catch up (I'm talking to you, polka dot skinnies).

But occasionally, I get thwarted. The fashion designers and clothing makers out there just don't understand my brilliance. They refuse to produce the exact thing I want. At least, at a price I can afford.

This is one such occasion.

About a year ago, I stumbled across this image over on Esme and the Laneway:

Pinned Image

And it was one of those record-scratch moments where everything sort of changes. 

I love every. single. thing. about this. The full post is here, but here is another fantastic picture of this outfit for you:

love love love this skirt.

I want it all!

The printed, tied-up shirt! The slouchy-but-flattering sweater-thing! 

The dark, gibson-rolled hair!

The fan-freaking-tastic makeup!

But more than anything else, The Skirt. Lovely cream color, with a high waistband but a drop waist. Full, flattering, long. Elegant, but with a little bohemian flair; retro, but with enough edge to be modern. This Skirt is stunning. And I want it. 

And no one sells it.

No one even sells anything LIKE it. I have been hunting for this skirt (or even just something similar) for over a year now.

I'm desperate! I think soon I'm going to have to resort to attempting to make it myself... But I can't even really find a pattern for this skirt!

Pinned Image<--The closest I've gotten is this dress. I suppose I would just have to not make the blouse part.... though I'm not sure how well that would work.

Or I might could make this skirt... and just make one super-extra-long ruffle instead of a bunch... 

My sewing skills at the moment are a bit mediocre, though... So I'm nervous. What if it just doesn't quite turn out? How disappointing would it be to be sooo close, but fail?

I definitely see lots MORE time and energy being spent in the pursuit of The Skirt. Maybe someone just needs to make it for me. 

At a price I can afford. 

Then not sell it to anyone else, so me and Esme can just be the only fabulous ones out there. 


---------------------------------------------------

One last shout-out to Esme and the Laneway. She can do absolutely no wrong in my book. She always looks absolutely perfect and has really been a huge style inspiration to me (I adore the new blonde and pink 'do, too).


**********UPDATE**********

I finally made it! You can see my results here!




2 comments:

  1. Cara this doesn't seem that hard to accomplish! First treat this project like your making two different skirts. The fist being the maxi part of the skirt. The second, a mini skirt! That's what the top of the skirt resembles to me. You would need your waist measurement (with seam allowance) and then the largest part of your hip measurement. That awesome looking point in the skirt, simply cut the fabric that way! In my personal experience its better to make your own pattern for DIY projects. Buy some pattern fabric and cut to your own measurements. Pin the pattern together to see if your pattern even resembles the skirt. Trust me this step helps! You'll wont ruin precious fabric that way. Keep in mind to give yourself seam allowances....and that you'll have to install a zipper for the "mini" part of the skirt. Make the "mini" part first. I know that it will suck to do the hardest part first and you'll curse and get a little overwhelmed but it will all come together. The bottom of the skirt should be a breeze. The hardest part being the attaching of the two pieces. Use a gathered stitch to connect the pieces. Feel free to contact me on Facebook for tips and moral support. <3 good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the help! I think the next time I make this skirt, I'm gonna alter the pattern I have to fit me a little better. When I made it here (http://curmudgination.blogspot.com/2013_02_01_archive.html) it wound up just a tad wide in the hips.

    ReplyDelete